Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Day 4, Downtown Burlington Crit:

Last year with my waning form and bad positioning at the start proved to much for me to handle and my race ended fast. This year despite being a bit down from not being a rock star in the road race I pumped myself up and got ready to rumble. I won the sprint to the line after they called up the GC and jerseys. The first five laps was fast, all out riding and it seemed to me I was about mid pack. Better yet when the first, be it subtle, lull in the pace came I seemed to recover fast. Good news for me. I rode strong and avoided the 2 crashed that happened right in front of me. Mostly just people making minor mistakes and going down. No big pile ups.

I was able to move towards the front a few times but Joe was fine. In perfect position as usual. I conserved my energy for when it may be needed instead of attacking for a little personal glory. In the end Joe was able to get a few GC points at a mid race sprint and move back into 4th over all.
I moved up from 40th to 29th after surviving the crit. I was told after the race that about 40 riders were dropped. I was pleased and the team did great. 4 riders in the top 20!!

No comments: