Sunday, October 01, 2006

Boulder cross series #1

The Boulder cross series is pretty nice in the sense that I can simply ride to any of the races in about 15 minutes tops. And with shot races it makes for easy logistics. Today was the first race in the series. I decided to race Cat 3. I could have raced 4 and probably still not have won but I was afraid of the back lash I might have received. I did my normal not long enough warm up, and there I was on the long straight paved section that was the start. I got a good hole shot and was riding 2nd wheel until the right side of the pack surged and I went into the dirt about 15th. I was pretty happy with that and focused hard knowing that this first 10’ or so would be the hardest part of the race. as we hit the first run up I dropped my chain, and lost about 20 places. I got back on track and drilled it. I passed a few guys and found myself in what seemed to be the second group. Pretty large, about 12 guys or so. A few bobbles and surge at the front w/ me at the back and I was gapped again. Lap 3 I started to think I better walk the “run ups” because I felt like I was gona puck! I pushed hard on the long paved section and my chain dropped again. Lost that group for good. I was now really suffering and riding with 2 guys towards the back of the race when… yes, my chain dropped again! This time because my arms failed to work when I tried to pick up my bike. It hit the barrier and I dragged it behind me for about 10 feet before I could muster the strength to shoulder it. Pretty sad. Then luck came my way, one of the guys who dropped me on my last chain bobble dropped his chain. Ahhh redemption. I flew past him trying to save my, uhhh 3rd from last place finish and did. I gained on a few others in the last lap as well.
End result: not sure on the placing but not good. I do have a hacking cough, my left knee hurts and I some how have a Charlie horse in my right quad? No clue how.
So worth it? Ohh yeah! If I can keep my chain on I think I can go mid pack or better for sure.
Till nest time…

1 comment:

gwadzilla said...

sounds like a classic cross experience