Sunday, April 06, 2008

Lookout Mt. ITT

The race ascends Loot mt. road in Golden, CO. On the very edge of the rocky Mt’s above historic Golden with the Coors factory and the renowned School of Mines below I found my self gazing at the view quite a bit on my warm up ride up the climb. The climb is only 4.5 miles and about 5%, so nothing supper crazy. Tom D has the record, surprise, at 16 minutes and change. 300$ for who ever can break it. With Kevin Nicol and Jason Donald in attendance there was a good shot it may fall, but the little bit of wind there was would erase any chance of that. I felt good warming up and in fine EK fashion I was running late despite arriving 2.5 hour before my start time!
I knocked out plenty of efforts in my 1:20 warm up. some over unders and really dialed in my effort at 360 watts or so. I selected the Carbon wheels today so no power data. I feel like I paced my self well despite feeling a bit tired in the gluts and hamstrings. I didn’t have that over the top, pushing so hard to have enough lactic acid in my blood to kill a dog, but I got the job done. Just over 19’ at an estimated 359 watts gave me 9th place. First top ten of the year, hopefully more to come. I felt pretty good. Cadence high even on the steep sections in the last mile. It was still hard to keep on it when the road flattened out but still a pretty good result. Right what I should have been able to do for a 20’ effort or so. I feel that at the Gila I will have to produce a similar avg. wattage to be in the hunt. This will be tough for a few reasons.
~ TT bike is hard for me to rock the watts.
~ There will be a few 0’s. steep down hill and the turnaround.
~ It will be 38’ or so not 19’!!
~ It will be on day 3 of the hardest amateur stage race in the country. And while I was not totally fresh and peaked for this effort there will be some fatigue in the legs come stage 3.

No comments: