Saturday, June 30, 2007

Sunshine Canyon Hill climb.

I like the hill climbs, just enough race tactics to make things interesting but nothing to really screw you over. The race goes up hill right away and I was so worried about getting caught back I found my self in the front. Sliding to 3rd wheel or so the pace was nothing crazy but hard enough. Upon the first flat section the I was still there like every one and sitting top 15. the next section was the hardest part of the paved road. I road hard but in control. I was dropped with about 20 guys in the lead group now. As the road eased back I got into a nice group and we chased back on. When the road kicked up again there were 5-10 guys who had gone to deep and blew. I made it back to the lead group pretty quickly. then we hit the dirt. Things really blew up there. I was in around 15th on the road I think, I road a hard yet still in control pace. I was maxed yes but feeling reasonably good. and with the decent number of pro’s in attendance I was pretty happy. As I approached th last km. I started to accelerate. There was a group just up ahead. On dirt there could be a rider 10 feet ahead of you on a 1% grade and you could never make it to his wheel. You go slow! I caught them with 600 meters to go and went straight by. A on Einstein’s riders wheel now I saw Jon Tarkington ahead. I must be riding well! The road flattened out and I was sprinting now to stay with the bagel fueled rider. He pushed again and it was all I could do to keep my pace I had empted the tank. Or filled it with lactic acid? Which ever way you think of it? Probably the latter.
Not sure where I finished. Top 15 I think maybe top 10 but that’s pushing it. Results should be up soon. On the ACA web sight. http://www.americancycling.org/results/Default.htm
More to come hill climbing to come!!

No comments: