Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fallcon cycling Road Race

Co, springs is a beautiful place it real is. The air force base is propped up on a hill just below the fount range. Pic on my main page.
The race course today featured the 1987 worlds road race course, kinda cool. It was a 12 mile loop which was basically one long climb with a tail wind. It platued out and rolled hard 3-4 times before a fast down hill right into the short, big ring finishing climb. then down more with a heavy cross wind, right hand turn into a 20 mph head wind, for a few miles and back to the long climb.
The field was still pretty stacked despite yesterday fun. The first lap was steady and the climb, I think, tock allot of people by surprise. Even though we had a tail wing the climb dragged on and got steeper towards the top. Through in a little cross wind at the top with some hard small ring rollers and you got a tough climb. the attacks started on the second lap and the climb was all out. 1/3 of the field was dropped if not more lap 3 (out of 5) a slipstream guy and a Einstein’s rider moved away. I look at Stefano (from Toyota United) and shock my head in unison with his. There were 2 slip stream guys in the field still and 6 or so riders form the Einstein’s team. not a good situation for any one else. I tried to slip away on the head wind section once or twice but it was no good. with the bagel boys chasseing everything down I had to the climbing power of the young guy from Toyota United. For the next 2 laps Stefano showed the field why he is a pro. That boy can climb! he shattered the field the first time, I got back on. The next time he tock a few riders with him clear. And the field was blown apart. I was now in the 3rd group? I think? The break which was then caught and dropped. Stefano’s group, another group with some strong men from Einstein’s and my group. 1 and a half laps to go we rolled pretty well. At this point I was really feeling the effort. I hung tough the last time up the climb but right as I was going to put in an big effort over the top I dropped my chain! Douuuh! My big effort was chasseing back to my group of 7 or so. Caught them all but 3 which contained Chuck Coyle. Rider from Successful Living and 12 hour old winner of the 07 Boulder Roubaix.

1 comment:

Jason h said...

I really like your blog!