Sunday, November 19, 2006

Boulder Cross Series # 4

The finish of today’s Cross race would leave us with only one last event in the Boulder cross series. It has been a goal of mine to make the top ten over all. They award the top ten over all and you get some booty too. Starting out in Sept. I figured that this would not be nearly as difficult as it has been especially since I am only racing cat 3! Hello! Looser patrol! Not knocking any 3’s I have had my butt handed to me every race. and while I do race P-1-2 on the road this is a totally different sport. And I applaud anyone who saddles up for a race.

Know you know I am not one for excuse but for what ever reason my hamstrings were wound up like a rubber band ball for the last 2 days and I could not loosen them up.

My warm up was fair, could have been a bit longer but forgetting my money, getting a flat, and the Mexican food for dinner last night had me… busy pre race to say the least.

The legs didn’t feel great either. I got to the start early a few more hammy stretches and I did what I always do at the start of every race, feeling good or not. I looked around, convinced my self I was the best and I would ride like a god today.

Only a 20 minute ride away from my house the course featured lots of washboard grass sections, a few off camber high speed turns, an EK leg breaking wall of a run up, sand pit the works!

I was second row at the start. The starting section was probably the best section of the course for me, I had to really nail it. The gun went off and after a few hip checks I was around 15th wheel. “Ok not bad.” Off the gravel path onto the uphill bike path around a corner into the sand pit and back out. I pasted maybe 5 people. I was riding well and closing gaps fast. I got into the front of the first chase group. The leaders were 3 or 4 and gaped everyone fast. Looking around I was in good company. Guys who have finished in the top ten lately. A glance behind humbled me as 10 more guy on my wheel were thinking the same thing. Letting strong man Matt Operman take the front I was content to follow and a lap later the ten followers were now the chasers. Sweet! “8th place EK!” some fans yelled. “8th! Nice this is good”. As we started the 3rd lap Matt looked like he was feeling the pressure and seemed to slow. I punched it as we hit a paved section now riding in 6th – 9th place I figured, and I was pretty happy. In the mix! A few minutes later I hit the run up. Matt and company were right behind me. 16 minutes into the race and it was clear that my attack was a bit to much for me to handle. I could have gotten in a nice recovery in that section but I went for it. My 3 chasers turned into my fellow riders and then my leaders quickly. I tock a deep breath and tried to get a rhythm going. I did, but I could tell it wasn’t what I was capable of. I had made a huge tactical error in my amped up rage brought on by my good start and company after 2 laps.

I tried to not make any errors and keep a rhythm going. In the end finished 12th. A good result for me yes. My best yet but the top ten again was in sight and there for the taking. No go in this sport. One mistake, one mishap, one little brush with bad luck and its over.

One more opportunity to make the top ten. Doubled points. Stay tuned.

No comments: